Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Change is in the air

I have received so many responses to the statement of me being shy that I thought I should reply in a post.
Contrary to what people think, I have always been VERY shy. Once I get to know a person, then I open up and can relax, and become a bit overbearing, as those close to me know. The problem is that very few people are close to me anymore. I haven't made a real friend, wife excluded, since I left high school, and for some reason the ones I had, excepting Mark Despain and Brian Bowen, wont talk to me. Once I figured out that my friends werent friends anymore, I stopped trying to be one. Sappy and stupid maybe, but thats neither here nor there. The point is, if I havent spoken to you in over a year, I wont take the initiative to go talk to you if our paths cross. In truth, most of me thinks that no one wants to talk to me (that is the depression talking..yet another story). So I stay on the periphery and peep into peoples lives and smile that they are happy and doing good. this way its easy to avoid uncomfy encounters when the other person really doesnt want to talk to you.
My wife thinks me being shy is funny, most of the time. She had to ask me out on our first date. I dont think its funny, I just think its who I am. So if you think of me and have a view of someone other than a quiet reserved man, then I must have thought of you as a friend at one point in our lives, and thats pretty cool to me. Just dont be surprised that I know more of my personality than you do.
Heather thinks Im crazy, my mom is just fed up with it. But whats new...

3 comments:

Shellee said...

Nate, you are NOT shy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nah, just kidding, Curtis thinks you are just normal, But I know the truth, you're WEIRD!!!!!!!! But not weird enough to be a Mellor! I am still a Porter at heart, so take that as you will...

Jim Innes said...

Nate, its too bad we didnt get a chance to hang out more when you lived in Orem, you seemed like a cool guy and I think we would have gotten along swimmingly. I know Leslie adores your wife and misses her greatly. My daughter Jo still remembers Rebekah pretty well. Anyway, its good to see your blog - now Jo can point to the pictures of your daughter and ask to play with her.

The Claire and The Josh said...

ummmm, hello. ummmm, hi? Would you please know that I'm still around and I'll always be your friend. I knew you from way back when too and we've both changed a lot. Do you not remember the wall flower girl that I was in high school who preferred the library over the parties? I accept you and your nerdiness, your lovely wife, and your funny kids for who you all are. Beautiful...inside and out.