Monday, April 19, 2010

Learnings in frustration

Yet another wonderful post by Nate allowing us all to meander down the dismal path that has become my education/career.
For those who need a recap...
I spent the greater part of the 2000's in that wonderful prison I like to call school. I love learning, I just deplore school, but I digress.... anyway... Here is why I attended school.
I have been running a trucking business that keeps our family alive. I hate the trucking business. Dont get me wrong, its nice to set your hours, be your own boss, blah blah blah.... here is the other side. When you own your own business you are last to get paid, and in trucking that always means underpaid. Trucks run 24/7 which means you are never ever not at work. 1 am calls telling you a truck has broke down are always a special treat.
Continuing, trucking doesnt attract the most intelligent of folks either, and my contracts are with the post office, which seems to be some modern day ambrosia for morons, dingbats, screwups, suckups, and every other detestable scum that never learned to use their brain so they went to the ole government to secure their future at wages they dont deserve for labor they dont provide. I grew tired of this daily rigmarole and wanted to have a better life for me an my family. So, in 2001 decided to try and get my business degree.
In 2007 I finally achieved my goal. I graduated with a degree in business management from the University of Phoenix (the only school I could attend with my schedule), severely in debt from student loans but believing I had finally secured my future......WRONG!!!!!!
Turns out a business degree is worthless without some sort of specialization. How do I know this you might say? Years of interviews with company big wigs who were kind enough, and at the same time complete a@#holes, told me my degree was worthless without more education. What to do, what to do?
Computers my mind said, you love networking (from a brief spell with an IT company that my bro in law was kind enough to arrange...long story), why not get some certifications in something you enjoy, get entry level work somewhere, and earn your way up with your degree and certifications together. Sounds awesome on paper, eh? NOPE!!
I spent another 8 months, and a considerable amount of cash, getting Network+ and CCNA certified. Here is the gist of a conversation I had today with Adecco, a temp placement firm known internationally. This person will now be referred to as dingbat, or db for short.
Me: Im looking to try and find job placement. I have a business degree and a few computer certifications that I have recently earned.
DB: Do you have any experience with either?
Me: Yes I have a trucking company which I have operated since I was 18, and I have a little experience with Novell, a major computer company.
DB: Well, since you dont have any experience we cant help you. Recent certifications are really worthless. Companies want employees with experience, so come back when you get some.
Me: Do you not see the catch 22 here? You want experience, and certifications, but are unwilling to let anyone with certifications try to gain experience. How are you supposed to get "years" of experience.....?
Dingbat didnt have an answer, he just shuffled me off with some remark about leaving my resume with their hr team.
So, a summary is in order I think.
Bachelors degree cost $30,000...yup UOP is a financial blackhole from which there is no return
2 computer Certifications cost $5000
Total value to the rest of the world $0
Having to still drive a mind numbing truck for the rest of your life....priceless

I really hate this world and am going to grab a Dr Pepper and a lawn chair and watch the fireworks with elations of ecstasy and tears of joy in my eyes when it finally goes down in flames.
Have a nice day

8 comments:

***LIZ*** said...

I saw a help wanted sign in the flower shop by our house. You wouldn't get any one am calls with that job. Have you signed up with Linked in? It's more about who you know then what you know. Good Luck, it will work out, keep trying.

Shellee said...

Nate, hit up GoDaddy.com. They are looking for people, you may have to spend a few months doing sales and tech support, but from what I hear, they promote pretty quickly. A lot of guys stay in the sales area because they make a bunch with commission. Check them out.
Also, get on with Robert Half Temp and Techsystems Recruiting. Curt got his last job through them. Craigslist and Careerbuilder people have interviewed Curt more recently than anyone else. Good Luck.

DeAnna said...

That sucks!!! I hope things turn around for you!

Shellee said...

Curt says to try Avnet if you are okay with an entry level job and have a degree, they prefer to hire out of school. They just started selling Cicso products again. They live to promote with the company. That's where Curt got some of his experience, but he had to put in his time with internships. He did all this before I quit my job, so the situations a little different, but he's out of a job too. Call us if you want anymore ideas.

Tony said...

Hey Nate, as soon as you figure out the answer let me know. In the meantime save a DP for me and a spot for my lawn chair next to yours.

Seriously, I think Liz is right. (Did I just say that? j/k Liz:) And sometimes guys like us run out of contacts, or have contacts, but not in the right industry, etc. So time to join a new club, run for PTA president, start going to Alumni events... Sigh. And if you have time for that, well you've probably already been fired (or divorced, or retired, or buried, or something)...

Keep fighting the good fight.

Unknown said...

Don't give up Nathan!! It is always darkest before the dawn. "after the trial come the blessings." If it's meant to be, it will happen. You could never understand why you never could get accepted to BYU. Even tho you were more qualified than many we knew who were accepted. I believe you would not have married Marne if you had gone to BYU. The Lord knows better than we do what is best for our lives. Stay close to Him and keep living the gospel and it will all turn out for the best in the end. Learning is never a waste. Knowledge is the only thing that we can take with us into the eternities....and Families of course!!!

Heather said...

Marne, you need to post something new. I need to see the cute smiling faces of your little ones.

KMireille said...

Oh Nate, you make me smile with your posts. :) We love you!