Wednesday, April 7, 2010

scared to absolute death!!

ok, so i don't know if you can see just how scary these roads are by this picture, but i, who have barely ever driven on a curvy road in my life, was scared to death!! i drove my kids to school like any normal day, then found out that the family wanted me to pull them out, and have them join us for the day of fun and adventure. so i rushed home to put on tennis shoes and pack lunch, and went to the school to grab the kids (where they had been for an hour). they were so excited, and when colby heard that we had to get off on the idaho exit, he thought we were taking a plane to idaho. it was very cute. but no, just driving. i didn't realize what my lovely father in law had in store for me. he told me there would be some windy roads and maybe it would be a turn off of a dirt road for a while. a few weeks ago, we took a camping trip, where we detoured for a few miles of off roading on a dirt road. this is what i envisioned. I WAS WAY OFF!!! basically, i was on the freeway a little past where i know it, then off into lala land for a long time, then the paving drops off, and it is dirt road for what seems like hours. the dirt road i don't mind so much. it is the winding switchbacks up and down mountains and the teeny road hugging the side of the cliff. there were times when a car was coming the opposite direction, and you have to pull over to let them pass!! that is just plain scary!! after an eternity of driving, and perspiring through inches of my shirt, we made it the roosevelt lake dam. we got out, and john reminisced about the mail route, and where he used to drive. when i saw him, i slapped his arm back and forth for what he put me through!! sandy knew my fear though, and gave him a good talking to during the drive, which made me feel better. i complained a lot, but it was a gorgeous drive. i just felt very unprepared, and more than a little ticked at john for not telling me what i was in for!!




here is a picture of the kids standing in front of the ancient cliff dwelling. isn't it cool? i hiked up there, was too winded to stand in the picture! i am way pathetic, i know!! thank goodness the drive home was much faster and on a paved road, much less scary!!

4 comments:

Lori said...

What an adventure! I've been on roads like that with my Dad as a little girl, and still get flashbacks of it. We would be screaming for our lives as he'd pretend he was going to drive off the cliff. My Mom would be so furious at him. Gave me nightmares for years! LOL
Those Gresko men are wild!

Marie said...

That sounds like fun!! Go Marne!

DeAnna said...

I have been on that very road, I believe, and it scared me to death too! We were coming back from Payson and took a "shortcut". Ha ha! I would rather take the long way, thanks!

Shellee said...

This story cracked me up because it brought back memories of numerous trips back when John was our bishop in the 80's. (This is Curtis Mellor by the way) This is very typical of John Gresko. We had drives out to the Salt River or Roosevelt Lake all the time for church activities, or our family went with he Greskos and a couple other families. John was famous for driving those windy dirt roads recklessly, but he was confidant in his driving ability.
One trip on the way back from snow tubing, John was reading the newspaper and driving with his knees as usual. We were all in the back of the mail truck standing up and trying to balance while John swerved all over the road trying to get us to fall over. Ah...good times...Another time coming back from Young after filling up the mail truck with cut juniper John said we didn't need water and could get moisture from eating tomatoes. He got a little mad when we teased him about it the whole way home. Steve pointed out every river an creek and called it tomatoes. Stupid, but it was a long, dusty, memorable trip in the same that same general area. I learned to get used to John's driving.